Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why I Geek Out

When I first saw Weekly Geeks posts around the blogosphere, I didn't even consider joining in. Geek? I'm not a geek!

But the week I came across pictures of my favorite bloggers' best book places, I was entranced by the vastly different ways people responded to the same assignment. I found myself checking out the Mr. Linky for the first time, and clicking on as many as I could. I never did post the pictures I took of my bookshelves that week (I'd love to see that assignment repeated!), but when the next Saturday rolled around and Dewey assigned a book cover quiz--something I would never have thought of on my own--I was ready. I decided I'd just do it once in a while, when the assignment really grabbed me.

It hadn't occurred to me that new people would actually stop by. I figured people sought out their blogging friends on the Mr. Linky and read those posts. But when comments appeared from bloggers I'd never heard of...and then the next assignment was an interview and I got to know Lenore better...I was hooked.

What does being a member mean to me now? Community. Not like a club--it's actually the opposite of that--there is no true "membership." It's the fact that I can assume another Weekly Geeker will be open to my out-of-the-blue comment even if they've never heard of me. It's the idea that across the world, people are thinking about the same things on the same day, in their own unique ways. It's the excitement of clicking on a brand new name up on the Mr. Linky and waiting for the page to load, wondering who's on the other end.

Here's how I make the most out of Weekly Geeks: I follow as many of the links as I can throughout the week, and try read a full page (not just the WG post) and leave a comment. It slows me down, for sure, and I never get to them all, but the idea of WG isn't to say, "I read 'em all," right? It's to participate fully. I don't feel I've done that unless I've left my mark on at least one blog that's not in my reader. If you're normally of the click-and-lurk ilk, go ahead, try it. Leave a comment.

Nothing to say? Answer me this: If you could only take one CD with you to a deserted island, what would you bring?

24 comments:

  1. Weekly Geeks is definitely a cool idea! I don't know why I never joined, probably a time thing, maybe some day! I've enjoyed reading some of the topics over the past few months though! And I'm most definitely a geek!:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I agree. I mean, when I first signed up for Weekly Geeks, I didn't really know quite to expect but figured I'd participate when the mood struck me, but having done it for awhile, I really started to appreciate the community aspect. I especially liked the occasional Geek assignment where we were asked to go and visit Weekly Geeks that were new to us and post about them. Between doing my own post and reading other peoples' my blogroll and consequentially my list of bloggy friends has grown and grown. I can't begin to surmise how many blogs I've come to read because of Weekly Geeks posts, but it's a lot (and hey, yours is one!). =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you - although I do try to read all the posts made. And, like I said, ideally I also comment on them. But I know that I don't do that and you are right in that that is not the important thing at all. I have discovered many great blogs I perhaps would not have found otherwise if it hadn't been for Weekly Geeks.

    Only one CD on a deserted island. Hmm. Tough one. Maybe something from when I was younger: Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss by The Cure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered WG in time for last week's post... and I had a great time doing that one and reading all of the nice comments left by other WGs!

    I'm so looking forward to playing along with you guys each week. Saturday didn't come fast enough for me, lol.

    One CD, just one?? Oh boy. If I were going today, I'd grab my daughter's Taylor Swift CD b/c that's ALL we listen to around here and I've grown quite fond of it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it perfectly, Ali.

    One CD? Gah, that's as hard as one book :P Maybe Greetings from Michigan by Sufjan Stevens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - it's the sense of community for me too.
    http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/weekly-geeks-17109.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly! This is why I love Weekly Geeks too.

    Right now, the CD I would probably bring is Taylor Swift's Fearless since it's in my car at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post! I so agree about the sort of magic of being in the same head space as people on another continent and reading new ideas, seeing interesting photos. And that anyone can participate and open a dialogue.

    Hmmm, one CD. It would probably be something Mozart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just like hanging out with the Geeks _ the Geeks are my people ;)

    One CD??? If it's all in one boxed set can I bring the LOTR soundtrack? Tis my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weekly Geeks is great isn't it? I'm so glad it's up and going again.

    As for the CD... I'm bringing Josh Groban with me, no contest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Ali - thanks for the tip about weekly geeks! I'd never heard of it, but as a geek from way back, I'm signing up now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post! I love exploring new-to-me blogs. (I try to do that with Weekly Geeks and any of the challenges I join in as well). And I'm *trying* to be better at commenting on the blogs I read both new and old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was my first time playing at Weekly Geeks and I totally loved it. You nailed it exactly, those feelings, and clicking on the the next link. I love to explore people's blogs and see what they're up to and what they're reading.

    As for what CD....I would make it a mix of all the songs I've loved over the years. It would be too hard to choose anything else.

    Loved your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "click-and-lurk ilk" Try saying that 3 times fast!

    Ditto what you say here. Now I have to go write my own post before I read anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  15. CD ummmm... maybe the Buffy Musical "Once More With Feeling".

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all - my CD of choice would be an Enya one - I could stand hearing that more than once.

    I agree about the ord Geek - it seemed when I first considerd Weekly Geeks a rather strange title. But I'm happy with it now.

    And again, yes, it is not so much a club, as a community. I like seeing what others write about and what their respnses to challenges laid down in WG are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "It's the idea that across the world, people are thinking about the same things on the same day, in their own unique ways."

    That's a really wonderful way of putting it.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  18. - and new bloggers are still curiouos. I began blogging in December, started a new blog two weeks ago and don´t know Dewey, but I keep surfing around in her ´area´. Quite delightful and extremely inspiring.

    Greetings from a crime fiction freak from Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's how I treat both WG and Sunday Salon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great. Another site for me to visit instead of writing. Not good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love what you said about WG being a community but not a "club". I hadn't thought about it like that, but I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  22. First of all: I have an award for you! As far as the deserted-island-music-question goes, I would take Indigo Girls' Retrospective. I'm glad WG is back, and I love that anyone can participate at any time and still feel like a part of the group. It's nice to constantly have new members popping in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great answer! I'm glad you got so much out of WG.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very well said, Ali. Love your page. I'm definitely going to stop by again :)
    Have a Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete