Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What's on my Nightstand

The only book that's literally on my nightstand right now is a book of Ron Carlson's short stories, At the Jim Bridger. But, here are the books, currently spread throughout my house, which I'm planning to read over the next month:

Sweethearts (Sara Zarr) I loved Zarr's About a Girl, so really looking forward to this one.
Cures for Heartbreak (Margo Rabb) I stumbled acorss Margo's blog and have been enjoying it so much I had to check out her book.
Attack of the Theater People (Marc Acito) I'm taking a class with Marc, which was a good reminder that I wanted to read his latest.
The Year of Magical Thinking (Joan Didion) From my New Classics Challenge
Blue Genes (Christopher Lukas)
My Father's Paradise (Ariel Sabar) An Advance Reader Copy I received from Algonquin Books.
The Longest Trip Home (John Grogan) Another A.R.C., received from Harper Collins, due to be published October 21.

I'll also read some of the books listed on my post below. I don't have any of those yet, but I expect they'll start appearing this week.

And here are the books I'm planning to read with my kids:

Maze of Bones (Rick Riordan) We're in the middle of this one right now. My husband took the boys to see the author (who also wrote the Percy Jackson series--The Lightening Thief, and so on) talk about this book, which is the first in a new series.
Peak (Roland Smith) A finalist for the Oregon Book Award (Young Adult category)
Night of the Howling Dogs (Graham Salisbury) Another finalist for the Oregon Book Award (young adult).

What's on Your Nightstand is a monthly carnival hosted by 5 Minutes for Books. Click on the link to participate.

2 comments:

  1. Sweethearts was great. Still need to read Story of a Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, books spread throughout the house.

    Love the "new classics" list. Some I totally agree with, and others I haven't heard of (but want to check them out).

    ReplyDelete