Saturday, February 9, 2013

Valentine Heart

I took these shots on a walk in the fall, doing research for the book I'm currently writing. The book takes place in Portland, and my characters have to do a lot of walking. I wanted to get a sense of how long it would take, and what the experience would be like, to walk from point A to point B. I have a hard time describing things from my imagination, so I took lots of pictures to help me communicate a sense of place to my (handful of) readers.

The heart at this construction site caught my eye along the way, and I thought I'd post it in honor of Valentine's Day coming up this week.


I have no idea if the heart-shape is purposeful or incidental, but I love that the workers hung a University of Oregon from it. Clearly someone loves their team. I hope there's unity on this crew, or maybe the Oregon State Beavers fans have their own heart-shaped crane thingy somewhere. Many possible stories here.

I took the above shot first, and then I worked hard to get one without the fence blocking the view. The gaps in the fence were too small to fit my lens between, so I tried stepping back. In the end, I didn't like the effect of that as well as the first one I'd taken. Which do you think is the better shot?



Saturday Snapshot is hosted by At Home With Books. To participate, post a picture that was taken by you, a friend, or a family member, and add your link. 

12 comments:

  1. Interesting. Have you been back to see what's going on with the heart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both kind of work in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering what the heart it too! Hope you find out and take a picture in it's final location. Then let us know in another SS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I should go back and check on it; it's been a few months now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! Maybe a future Saturday Snapshot of the heart's final destination?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Top shot works best in my view...nicely random♫ Here's my SS: http://lore-eleven.blogspot.com/2013/02/icy-convex-mirror.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're writing a book?!!

    I think I like the top one better, but they're both pretty cool in their own ways.

    Really? You're writing a book?!! Sorry, I'm just always a bit awed by people who can undertake such daunting projects. Not to mention a wee tad envious of the talent it takes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Top one is better from my perspective, but I guess it depends on what your point of view is, I mean what you're thinking about when you see it.

    Best wishes on your book writing. I"m doing that too. Book 2 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, Debi--yep. The book is done, now, just doing some final edits before sending it out into the world to see where it flies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the first photo. The blurring of the fence gives the photo a more mysterious look, as if there's a story waiting to be told.

    All the best on your book! I'm still revising mine, with research walks planned for this summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the second shot best. It looks like the heart is contained 'within', like those beating in our chests. Good luck with the writing~

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend has been focusing on taking pictures of serendipitously found hearts this months. There is something very cool about it.

    ReplyDelete