Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Too Cool To Be Forgotten--Alex Robinson (Book Review)


This is my high school! .... It's...it's just like I remember it. It still has that, that smell. ::sniff sniff:: What is that? Books? Frustration?
In this graphic novel, 40-year-old Andy Wicks goes to a hypnotist with the goal of quitting smoking and ends up reliving part of his sophomore year of high school. Robinson's characters have convincing facial expressions and the dorky high school dialogue is painfully realistic as Andy finds himself transported back in time.

Hoping that turning down the first cigarette he ever smoked will erase his subsequent nicotine addiction, Andy has the odd experience of attending a wild high school party as an adult in his teenaged body. Once the crucial moment passes, he expects to be home free. The remainder of the book is a poignant reminder of how easy it is to get caught up in our day-to-day lives and we miss the opportunity to make those important connections. A fun read with an emotional edge to it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for including me on your blogroll, and nice to see that my plan to give it a name starting with 'A' paid off and keeps it near the top of alphabetical lists. If someone catches on I am going to change the name to "A-1" blog....then "AA-1"...

    I too just read two humorous books...well, one funnier than the other....to counterbalance the rather heavy books I read recently.
    it is just me or is so much modern fiction just a bit grim?

    Ok, back to my book about the man with all the suicides in his family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm...darn! it sorts by last posted. well, forget that...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll just have to post more often, I guess, in order to always be on top. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is only so much time in the day.
    Maybe if I made every post very short. Then I could have very many!

    ReplyDelete