Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wedding Dogs (Book Review)

We all know people who treat their dogs like members of the family. Then there are the human family members who aren't exactly on their best behavior at weddings. So, why not get your dog a fancy outfit and invite him or her to your wedding (or at least the reception)?

Wedding Dogs, by Katie Preston Toepfer and Sam Stall, will give you several reasons "Why not," as newlyweds describe their canine loved ones whining through the service, stealing the flowers, and generally being stressed by the crowd.

But it also offers adorable photos and stories as proof that some dogs, sometimes, can be delightful additions to the party.

Here's how it's done. Awwwww!

Wedding Dogs is beautifully made. Every entry has high-quality photos of the dog/s in all their finery, and the accompanying text describes the wedding and how the dog/s participated--successfully, or . . . interestingly. Some funny stories, and some touching ones. I would have liked a little more back story on each of the dogs and couples. Surely every couple has a story of what about their dog is so special that it was worth the effort to have him/her at the wedding, right? I wanted that story. I am a sucker for the "awwwww" pet moments and I wanted more. I wanted people who aren't necessarily "dog people" to be able to read this book and understand why Wedding Dogs is a thing. That's not what this book is, but it is a lovely celebration of canine companionship. 


The Soundtrack: I Love My Dog, by Cat Stevens.  ("I love my dog as much as I love you. Though you may fade, my dog will always come through.")  I always thought the words to this song were a little odd.

Then again, I didn't have a dog in my wedding party.

Wedding Dogs was sent to Worducopia by Quirk Books. The opinions expressed in this post are solely my own and have not been approved or influenced by the authors or publishers.

1 comment: