Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Kenzie's thoughts on Delirium (Lauren Oliver)

Sometimes I spend hours, spread out over a few days, agonizing over what to write about a book that touches me deeply. If you're a blogger, you know exactly what I mean. It can be totally counter-productive.

When I saw Ben's girlfriend's reaction on Facebook to Delirium by Lauren Oliver, I had to ask her if she'd let me re-post it here. Kenzie is 15, and one of the things I love about her is that she's an introvert who doesn't hold back when she writes--she just goes for it.

Here, then, are Kenzie's thoughts upon slamming shut Delirium:
Have you ever read a book, that made you happy, sad, and angry, all at the same time?
And it bubbled up inside of you, making you wanna scream for joy, and anger.
And you felt so helpless to the emotion, that you had to slam the book shut . . . but only to reopen it again a minute later,
Because it has much more power over you, than you would like to admit?
That's me. Right now.
Thanks to: "delirium" by Lauren Oliver.

I hope Kenzie will let me post more of her book rants here in the future--or write them in her own blog. I haven't read Delirium, and yet after reading these brief words about it, I have more of a feel for it than I might get from a full-paged review. And I know I have to read the book. As Kenzie said in the comments on her post: "It's the best book, and the worst book, which is a good thing."

Synopsis of Delirium: They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I know the exact feeling she's talking about but I couldn't have articulated it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I read this book, and always meant to go on in the series, but somehow I forgot. Now I kinda want to go back and revisit it! She put that so well, thanks Kenzie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never considered reading this book until now. I hope Kenzie writes more about books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Kenzie for me--she left me so intrigued that I definitely want to grab this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like everyone else, I now want to read Delirium. Apparently, it's part of a trilogy AND there's even a collection of novellas about the Delirium world. That could make for a whole lot of reading!

    ReplyDelete