Sunday, July 26, 2009

Kampung Boy--Lat (mini book review)

This will be short, because I don't have much to say about this graphic novel, except that it's adorable and I loved it. Kampung Boy is the simple story of a Muslim boy's early years in a small village, or kampung, in Malaysia in the 1950s. Lat has been a popular comic artist in southeast Asia for years (there's even a TV show of Kampung Boy), and his work is just recently making its way to the U.S. His unique illustrations captured an unfamiliar-to-me time and place while making me laugh. I'll be handing it over to both of my kids. Town Boy is the next in the series and I can't wait to read it.

The Soundtrack: It's got to be a traditional Malaysian folk song. Here's Dia Datang, sung by Malaysian pop singer Aishah.

Publication Info: First Second, 2006, 144 pages

Other reviews: A Chair, A Fireplace, & a Tea Cozy

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad to see someone loved this, too! I really really enjoyed this and thought the illustrations were adorable (they are familiar to me, coming from Southeast Asia). Hope you enjoy Town Boy, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lat looks like a lot of fun! I'll have to check him out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Kampung Boy" and "Town Boy really are gems! No wonder they are bestsellers in Malaysia. LAT's cartoon illustrations are beyond delightful, and the stories open many windows for those not too familiar with the culture.

    ReplyDelete