Saturday, December 6, 2008

Weekly Geeks: Dear Dewey

Dear Dewey,

Becky at Becky's Book Reviews suggested a Weekly Geeks post in your memory this week. At first, I wasn't going to do it. I thought it was a nice idea, but.

But, what? I don't know. Just, but.

Writing this in letter form is sort of silly, I guess. I mean, I hope what awaits us after death is something...different, from reading blog posts about ourselves. But here's what I'd tell you, Dewey, if you were reading:

You would be proud of us, I think. In the days since we learned of your passing, book bloggers have visited each other's blogs to mourn your departure, together. Made plans to donate to causes in your name. Stepped up and networked and supported each other in hopes of keeping your legacy going. The Read-athon will likely happen in April. The challenges you started will happen, and a new one is being planned in your memory. Bookworms Carnivals will continue.

Weekly Geeks will take a hiatus now, because we know we can't fill your shoes and right now we just need to miss you for a while. But there are 17 of us right now working behind the scenes and, starting the second Saturday in January, a new weekly geeks will launch, dedicated to you.

Yes, Dewey: It will take 17 of us to accomplish just one of the many contributions you made. Seventeen. We hope we can manage it.

Because of your efforts, many of us have gotten to know our fellow book bloggers a little bit better. Since you've been gone, those connections have grown in an effort to fill the holes you left behind. We're appreciating each other just a little bit more. And I know I'm not the only one who's hugging my loved ones those few extra times this week.

Thank you, and God speed,

Ali

4 comments:

  1. Dewey would definitely be happy, I think, especially with the way we're working together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful letter Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. :)
    I know she'd be proud of us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ali, this is a great open letter. I didn't participate in any of Dewey's events on a regular basis, but I did read and comment on her posts, cheer on the read-a-thoners, and vowed to join them in April. I wish I hadn't put it off in October ...

    ReplyDelete