Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Black Box--Julie Schumacher (Book review)

Sometimes I start to feel like I'm getting jaded as a reader. After reading so many books--writing handbooks included--so often I come away from a novel or memoir unimpressed. This has happened with enough of the Mock Printz Awards books that I was starting to wonder if my expectations, for YA books in particular, had grown unrealistically high.

Julie Schumacher's novel Black Box has restored my faith.

Three months ago I interviewed Lenore about this book, and you should read that interview because I don't have much to add to it except my wholehearted endorsement. And to say that characters like Elena, Dora, and Jimmy Zenks are what it's all about for me. The way they leap off the page and straight into my heart: this is why I read YA.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to read this books. It sounds sad but powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely when one's faith is restored like this.

    I very much felt like that with Fantasy novels until I read 'Magician' by Raymond E Feist.

    It blew my socks off and gave me a new love for reading again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sold! I have it added to my YA Book Challenge list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when books stop me from feeling jaded! :)

    ReplyDelete